The IWSS is continuing its tradition of promoting and supporting the participation of graduate (M.Sc. and Ph.D.) students in the International Weed Science Congresses.
A limited number of travel grants will cover 50% of expenses such as registration fee, accommodation, and travel costs. The Graduate Students Award Committee will determine the recipients of travel grant awards. The most outstanding paper will receive the "IWSS Larry Burrill Graduate Student Travel Award", which covers all expenses to attend the Congress. The top five best papers will receive special recognition at the Congress and a plaque. The rest of the travel grant awardees will receive a Certificate.
For the 2020 Congress, the European Weed Science Society (EWRS) will conduct a separate selection of Travel Grant awardees, primarily geared toward European students. Please contact the EWRS President or Secretary for information. Students may only receive a travel grant from either the EWRS or the IWSS, but not both.
Students wishing to apply for a grant under IWSS must send:
1. A Curriculum vitae and Motivation letter (max 1 page each).
2. Confirmation of Faculty about their recent student status.
3. The submitted congress abstract in which the candidate is a presenting (main) author.
4. A 5-page manuscript including tables, figures and photos (PDF file, 12 pt Times New Roman font, 1.5 line spacing, and 3-cm margin all around), with Summary, Introduction, Materials and Methods, Results and Discussion of the paper presented at the Congress as main author. In case of more than one paper presented as main author, candidates should choose one of them for this grant application.
5. Tentative budget (estimation of the costs for travel, registration, accommodation and meals, including the costs covered by their home institution) and a letter of commitment to provide additional travel support should the student receive the award, signed by their supervisor or a major Professor of their institution.
6. All documents should be sent via e-mail to Professor Bernal E. Valverde (email@example.com), the Coordinator of the Graduate Students Award Committee. Deadline for submission is 31st December, 2019. The Graduate Students Award Committee will select the awardees according to the following criteria: 1) quality and novelty of research, 2) contribution to the discipline of weed science, and 3) letter of application. Applicants will be notified about the result of evaluation in February 2020.
Applicants must comply with the following conditions:
1. The candidate must be enrolled as an M.Sc. or Ph.D. student, pursuing a degree related to weed science, at the time of application.
2. Must present an oral or poster paper at the Congress as main author.
3. Shall acknowledge the acceptance of the grant in his/her oral or poster presentation.
The IWSS is grateful to the Weed Science Society of America (WSSA), EWRS, the Brazilian Weed Science Society (BWSS), and the collective contribution of IWSS members for their financial support toward these student awards.