The IWSS is continuing its tradition of promoting and supporting the participation of graduate (M.Sc. and Ph.D.) students in the International Weed Science Congress.
A limited number of graduate student travel grant awards will cover 50% of expenses, such as registration fees, accommodation, and travel costs. The Graduate Student Award Committee will determine the recipients of travel grant awards. The most outstanding paper will receive the "IWSS Larry Burrill Graduate Student Travel Award," which covers all expenses to attend the Congress. The top five best papers will receive special recognition at the Congress and a plaque. The rest of the travel grant awardees will receive a Certificate.
Students wishing to apply for a grant under IWSS must send:
1. A Curriculum vitae and Motivation letter (max 1 page each).
2. The submitted congress abstract in which the candidate is a presenting (first) author.
3. A five-page manuscript, with the candidate as first author, describing the candidate’s own original research including tables, figures and photos (PDF file, 12 pt Times New Roman font, 1.5 line spacing, and 2.5-cm margin all around), with Abstract, Introduction, Materials and Methods, Results and Discussion, and References. In case of more than one paper presented as first author, candidates should choose one of them for this grant application.
4. The application packet should also include a letter of commitment from the major Professor, or institution, signed by their supervisor or a major Professor of their institution, to provide additional travel support should the student receive the award, and a rough estimate of travel cost to the Congress venue (estimation of the costs for travel, registration, accommodation, and meals, including the costs covered by their home institution) .
5. The application packet should be sent via e-mail in one PDF file. Packets not following the rules will be rejected. Late applications will be rejected.
6. Confirmation of Faculty about their recent student status.
All documents should be sent via e-mail to Professor Bernal E. Valverde (firstname.lastname@example.org), the Coordinator of the Graduate Students Award Committee. The deadline for submission is 31st December 2019. The Graduate Students Award Committee will select the awardees according to the following criteria:
1) quality of work (methodology, materials used, etc.);
2) novelty or innovation;
3) relevance or contribution to the discipline of weed science;
4) quality of the manuscript itselfcation. Applicants will be notified about the result of the evaluation in February 2020.
Applicants must comply with the following conditions:
1. The candidate must be enrolled as a M.Sc. or Ph.D. student up to one year after completing a degree related to weed science as of January 1st of the Congress year.
2. Must present an oral or poster paper at the Congress as main (first) author.
3. Shall acknowledge the acceptance of the grant in his/her oral or poster presentation.
The IWSS is grateful to the Weed Science Society of America (WSSA), the European Weed Research Society (EWRS), the Brazilian Weed Science Society (BWSS), and the collective contribution of IWSS members for their financial support toward these student awards.